Thursday, July 22, 2010

Japan so far

A little background on me. I have been married to my husband for almost 5 years now. We have two beautiful children together, Kaylee and Dylan. My husband, Kendall, has been in the Navy for going on 10 years and this is our very first overseas tour. Kendall told me once before we got married how much he'd love to be stationed in Japan. He even put in for orders to Misawa a few years ago but didn't get it. When we were up for picking new orders, we were very limited on our choices. We put in for them, Japan being the first...


Loving my husband the way I do, I was secretly hoping for orders to Japan. I support Kendall and I try my hardest to be optimistic of our future plans. I knew how much he wanted Japan and it meant the world to me to actually be able to tell him I'd hoped we'd go - and I meant it!


When we got orders to come here I was feeling about how you'd imagine I'd feel. Apprehensive. Excited. Impatient. I wondered if we had made the right decision for our family. But the closer it got to make the trip over, the more excited I found myself. I mean, being a Navy family means being able to get psyched up for just about anything right?!


I couldn't wait to get here and see a new country. Besides Japan, the only other country I ever visited was Canada - and that was only to Niagara Falls for a few shorts hours. For me, coming here was this HUGE deal. And it was. It still is. I am excited about seeing more of where we'll be living for the next few years.




Kurihama, Japan
Flower World - a must see if you decide to travel to Kurihama. This place is amazing. Full of beautiful flowers and plants, and a playground with a huge "statue" of Godzilla! Be prepared to hoof it up the biggest hill I've ever seen in my life (and believe me - pushing a stroller up that thing is horrible!). There is a trolley that goes up and down, but you miss out on some gorgeous flowers if you take it. We had a very good time here and the kids enjoyed it as well. It didn't cost anything to go in to the park. They have gift shops and food available if you're hungry. You have to like the food though, I promise. I lucked out and found steak, but right next to it on the grill? Grilled Squid. Oh yes.















Kamakura, Japan.
Kamakura has it's fair share of shrines and temples. It's not too far from the base. If I remember correctly it's just 4 short train stops from Yokosuka-Chuo. We decided to take off there (during Golden Week no less - YIKES) and go see Great Buddha. I am, of course, not a Buddhist, but he is amazing. I had seen I can't tell you how many pictures of him, but they just do not do him justice. You have to see him with your own eyes to really take him in. Apparently there are stairs that go inside Buddha. If you want to pay 200Yen, you follow a guide and who knows what you'll see in there.




So far, we love living here! I have learned to drive on the left side of the road, which came easier than I had expected. I know the Yen to dollar exchange rate. I have learned to be more open minded about the things we do, and to do some things alone with my children while my husband is away. I am on my way to feeling very at home in this country. Not a bad thing! Not a bad thing at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment